Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Making Note


This wonderful little boy of mine told me this morning that he was writing down every time I said a bad word. I was a little shocked by the comment and asked what he meant. He said that he was making note every time I said a bad word and then he pulled out a blank piece of paper with one check mark on it. He told me that every time I said a bad word that he was going to put a check mark.
I admit that I swear sometimes and even around my kids. I am definitely not proud of it, but unfortunately it is a bad habit I have to break (just add it to the list) and one habit that has gotten a lot worse over the last year. You can judge if you want, but nobody is perfect. However, I have a little boy that likes to remind me not to swear or say "bad" words (which I'm not sure what he means by that). Sometimes he tells me that I owe him a dollar every time I swear. He makes it sound like I swear ALL the time, which I don't. However, it is making an impact on his life. I am posting this because I have a little boy that pays attention to stuff like that he is a very good reminder for me to shape up. I know what some of you are thinking "GOOD FOR HIM" It is very humbling to have my 6 year old tell me he is giving me a check mark every time I say a bad word. Well my goal is to have no check marks on his piece of paper. I think Heavenly Father uses our kids to remind us to do better sometimes. I am so grateful for my Aiden.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I'm not judging. I think it's wonderful. We're all working on different things. We're working on not saying Shut Up. We ask our kids to help us. They remember EVERYTHING, so it's a wake up call when they tell you not to say something and you didn't even realize that you did. I'm not sure there is a single person that could say they don't have a "stone" to throw. You are an amazing mom that should post all of your good qualities so that we can take a hit on our own self-esteem:) Like how you survive each day with all of the crap that's thrown at you. Like staying up night after night worrying about your babes that are coughing and barely breathing from asthma. Especially when I sleep in my warm bed in windy-smogless Wyoming. If you named all of your good qualities, I bet the list would be longer than you think. Probably longer than your faults!