Saturday, July 30, 2011

First Week of Work


This week I started my 300 hour unpaid externship at the Intermountain Medical- Speciality Clinic in Layton. I am working for Dr Al-Reeyes and Nurse Practitioner Laura Burton. They specialize in endocrinology, diabetes, and bone disease.
It has been a huge adjustment for me and my family. I honestly have never worked full time before except occasionally at a grocery store before I was married. This week I pulled 43 hours. My amazing mom has taken my kids while I work. I don't know what I would do without her. Hopefully it will only take me 7 weeks to complete and then I can get a job that is paid and then we will be able to get a house.
Ben has been a patient of NP Laura Burton for a couple months. She has been helping him get a pump for his diabetes. Because he is now full fledged type 1 diabetic now, he is eligible for a pump. We are hoping it will help him keep better control. He really likes the freedom that it will give him. It's a lot better then 6 shots or more a day.
I spend my days extremely busy with administrative back office work as well as patient care. On Wednesday and Thursday I probably gave 20 shots or more a day. At least some of my patients gave me an A+ grade on poking them. That made me feel good. I am honestly not a fan of the administrative part but I love the patient care. I am really hoping that they like me enough to hire me after I am done. It is a really good office to work for. Say your prayers that everything works out :)
I miss and hate being away from my kids. I wish life was perfect enough that we could survive if I stayed home to be a mom. But unfortunately we live far from that perfect life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Cous! Thinking of you! :) - Stef

Stephanie said...

I don't know how you do it. I could NEVER give a shot!!! I do hope you get that job! Prayers******