Monday, March 19, 2012

Trooper

My little sister, Mikayla took this super cute picture of Brynlee a little while ago. I absolutely love it. I can't tell you how much I adore Bryn's little personality. She has the best imagination. She has imaginary pets, fairy's, and friends from the netflix shows she watches. Her vocabulary astonishes me on most days. She has a very protective nature. She will protect Kynz from anything that might be harmful. She will follow her as she is climbing the stairs to make sure she doesn't fall backwards. She constantly blows me kisses randomly throughout the day. Although she is very much a daddy's girl, her and I have our moments of closeness. Through all the crap her body puts her through, she is still a loving, courageous little girl. On top of her lymphocytic colitis, Bryn was diagnosed today with hypoglycemia and possible type 1 diabetes. Because that particular colitis is an autoimmune disease, she is at much greater risk of developing more autoimmune diseases like diabetes. Not only does she have that against her, but because she has a parent with type 1 diabetes, this adds to the greater risk. So as I looked in her terrified eyes today that were streaming with tears, while she was being poked a total of 4 times because of collapsed veins due to dehydration (despite drinking a ton) and being cathed for a urine sample, my heart broke and I was screaming inside why does a perfect little angel that absolutely loves life have to go through so much in her short life of 3 years? I personally think that it is more a test for me then her. A test of patience and love. I never thought that I would ever have kids with chronic health conditions that would try my patience, but I did. Sometimes, I admit that it gets the best of me and I ask "why me, or why them?" Why do I have to constantly worry about whether they are breathing in the night or now, if bryn will wake up at all due to a low blood sugar. Really??? Talk about anxiety. It's not fair... but then again life isn't fair, but in my opinion, when it comes to children, life can be brutal. Long story short. Bryn was acting very weird to me Saturday morning. She had come in our room multiple times for a drink of water early in the morning. I thought it was odd that she was drinking so much the day before and having to pee a ton compared to her normal. I honestly pushed the thought of diabetes out of my head and thought it was most likely a UTI or something. By the 4th time coming in our room for a drink she just laid on our bedroom floor, which was very unlike her. Once she is awake, she stays awake. Something didn't feel right to me. I mentioned it to Ben that I thought something might be wrong with her. He told me to stop being paranoid (in a nice way). So I brushed off the feeling. At about 9:00 I finally decided to get up and check on her. She was asleep on the couch, which she never does after she has been awake. I went to wake her up and she was almost completely unresponsive, clammy and completely white. I tried everything to wake her and she wouldn't. I went and got Ben, telling him that there was something wrong. He came out to the couch and tried to arouse her and wake her up. Nothing but little moans. She was lifeless in his arms. I told him to grab his glucose monitor cause living with a diabetic, you know the signs of hypoglycemia and she had all of them. Sure enough it was very very low. We got her to open her mouth so we could push yogurt in. The only thing we had that wasn't chewable. 30 minutes later or less she was back to her energetic self. talk about another freak out moment for me. Whatever the tests reveal tomorrow on whether or not she has type 1 diabetes, she is a fighter and a trooper no matter what life throws in her way. She is such a good example to me. Just another rock to step over.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Oh Star, I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't believe the things she's been through! Or you!! I hope the tests come back with news that you can handle. I'll keep you in my prayers. Diabetes with all of those needles gives me anxiety just thinking about it. I was terrified with Brooke got it at 13. I can't imagine hearing a loved one was getting it at 3! Keep us posted. Like, as soon as you find out!